Skip to main content

Tuesday Slice of Life (03/10/20)

Writer's Notebook:
     This year, I decided to try the March Challenge and write with my students every day.  I wrote with them in the beginning of the year a few times as a model, but this is the first that I'm consistently writing.  In fact as I'm typing this, my students are writing in their writing journals.  For my journal, I've mostly been keeping a diary of my observations about the daily quick writes.  I am trying to make sure that our five minutes is well spent in regards to building writing fluency.  Something I've noticed and mentioned in one of my entries is how quiet the majority of the students are at this time.  There a a few that whisper occasionally, but not disruptively.  Even when I notice a student stop and appear to be thinking, they usually aren't stopping to chat with a neighboring student.  So what is it that has them so engaged?  Is it because of the choice they have in picking their own topic?  Is it because it's really the only writing that they do that isn't in response to reading?  I might want to do an informal survey to find out the answers to these questions.  After all, I want my class to be as focused and engaged as they are for these five minutes throughout other parts of the school day.  
     Below is a picture of my writer's notebook, along with a sample of one of my five minute quick writes.  
Here is a sample of a typical entry during a five minute quick write:
3/9/10
     The day after a time change is always interesting.  Some kids are tired enough to be docile.  However, most of my class seems pretty energized.   The sudden 70 degree day with lots of sun certainly helped me feel more energetic.  I'm doing these quick writes immediately after recess.  They seem to be working as a nice transition from play time back to work time. A few of my constant talkers are beginning to whisper more and I need to figure out how to keep them focused.   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tuesday Slice of Life (03/17/2020)

As a teacher, I understand that I need to prepare for the unexpected.  Maybe it's an unplanned fire drill interrupting a lesson.  Maybe my students just don't understand a unit and I need to do an extra review.  Maybe my class is having problems being kind and I need to stop for a class meeting.  So many maybes... I never would have thought I'd be delaying our routine for two weeks for a pandemic.  I just wasn't prepared.  There are just so many uncertainties.  We were able to release some suggested activities for students, and we did.  However, what the general public doesn't understand is why public school can't make those activities requirements.  The law says that there must be equal opportunities for all when it comes to education.  As it should.  Which means, we must think about our students who don't have access to online platforms for instruction.  We also must account for our students who have Individualized Education Plans and need differentiated i

Tuesday Slice of Life (03/03/20)

My students have shown such excitement for quick write time that I decided to attempt the writing in March challenge.  I will write with my students for 5 minutes every day.  Below is my first entry in my very own writer's notebook (keep in mind this was a 5 minute quick write): Day 1 of the writing in March challenge.  My students are very excited to be writing in their new spiral writing journals.  They also seem very happy with the idea of one free write every day.  I hope that passion and excitement continues.  For me, free write an be tough.  I kinda like having a springboard for an idea.  However, I am giong to embrace this March challenge and do my best to write every day.  It's amazing how silent the room is during quick write time.  I love how everyone (including me) is so focused.